Tuesday, October 6, 2026

On the day of the Autumn Equinox

 


I’ve often heard the wind whispering to the trees, but I’ve never listened closely enough to what she had to say.
Until now.
Today I pause... I listen and I hear it.
I hear the wind as she wraps herself around the branches of the trees and whispers to the leaves,
“do you want to dance?”
I watch then as she pulls the leaves into her arms, twirling and lifting and guiding them around a sunset-coloured dance floor, where yellows and oranges and reds already lay sleeping.
And I want to join in;
I want to run and twirl and lift the leaves into my hands.
To throw them in the air and watch them land gracefully upon the fire-tinted ground.
I want to feel alive, just like these leaves do, even as they change and fall and
slowly fade. I want to let myself go, to face the wind and to warm myself in the
fiery sunset beneath my feet.
Yes, I want to join in.
And today I have watched, I have listened and I can hear the
rhythm. And now it is time for me to dance...
to the beat of autumn’s heart.
*****
On the day of the Autumn Equinox - a poem I wrote back in 2024 for my 2025 calendar
Becky Hemsley 2024
Artwork by Alena Mosina
Source: Becky Hemsley Poetry on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment