I went through the Chick-fil-A drive-thru early this afternoon, and the attendant was talking for quite a while with the car in front of me.
I started to wonder if they knew each other.
And then, when it was my turn, she greeted me and immediately said, “Did you hear about Dolly?”
I knew Dolly mattered. But there, in the most ordinary of places, I saw just how far her reach went.
Here was this young woman, probably in her early twenties, talking about Dolly with the car in front of me, then with me, and I knew there would probably be another conversation with the car behind me, and the next one, and the next one.
We all knew Dolly.
She was a part of our lives.
She inspired us to read, to give back, to care, to love, to show up, to create, to listen, and to truly, truly live life.
I looked at the attendant and said, “I did. It’s sad. She will be greatly missed.”
And as I drove away, I kept thinking about Dolly's legacy.
About a young woman in a Chick-fil-A drive-thru talking with stranger after stranger about her.
About my Facebook feed full of tributes and kindness and words to a person most of us never even met.
My goodness, Dolly.
Look at the ripple you made.
~Rachel
FindingJoy
Photo: Library of Congress / Public Domain.
Source: Finding Joy on Facebook
Dolly Rebecca Parton (January 19, 1946 – August 25, 2026)
NASHVILLE, TN (August 25, 2026) – Global icon and humanitarian, Dolly Parton, known to the world as a beloved singer, songwriter, philanthropist, actress, playwright, and author died peacefully today in Nashville, Tennessee. She was 80 years old.
Dolly is preceded in death by her beloved husband of 59 years Carl Thomas Dean (1942 – 2025), her mother Avie Lee Caroline Owens (1923 – 2003), and father, Robert Lee Parton, Sr. (1921 – 2000).
A rhinestone life that shone bright enough for the world to see, Dolly will forever stand as an inspiration not only through her timeless music and prolific songwriting, but also her wit, warmth, and kindness that made us all feel like family. Dolly Parton’s legacy is one of love, compassion, and resilience. With a seven-decade career, she inspired multiple generations of artists and fans with her music and an unwavering commitment to making the world a better place. Her songs will continue to resonate with people of all ages, and her philanthropic work will have a lasting impact.
Source: Jimmy Carter on Facebook


No comments:
Post a Comment