Source: Spatial Awareness Home on Facebook
This one hit me hard when I finally saw it.
If you struggle to let go of things you spent money on -like, things you KNOW you’re not using- I want you to know: this is one of the most common psychological phenomenons related to clutter. It’s called “the sunk cost fallacy”
This is when our brains trick us into keeping items because letting go feels painful:
Daniel Kahneman and Amos Tversky discovered that losses feel about twice as painful as gains feel good.
…So when you declutter something expensive, your brain treats it like a fresh loss.
Even though nothing *new* is happening, the sting makes you want to avoid getting rid of it
And here’s what I learned after years of struggling with this:
A lot of it has to do with feeling like you made a mistake.
“I shouldn’t have bought that”
“I wasted money”
These voices of shame only serve to keep you stuck in a cluttered home.
The bottom line?
My ability to declutter *and actually KEEP my house decluttered* is directly connected to my ability to admit a mistake and move on from it.
The money is already gone. Keeping the item doesn’t bring it back. All it does is add to your mental load, take up space in your home, and remind you of the mistake every single time you see it.
The moment I gave myself permission to say “that was a mistake, and I’m allowed to move on” …I became unstoppable.
I started decluttering faster, and making clearer decisions. I learned to stop the guilt spiral in its tracks.
I give myself grace for impulse purchases and for the phase I was in when I bought it…for not knowing it wouldn’t work for me.
And then I let it go.
And honestly, that grace extended into other areas of my life too. Turns out, letting go is a life skill, and it gets easier the more you practice it.
Source: Spatial Awareness Home on Facebook

No comments:
Post a Comment